Some more KDE4 questions

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 1 11:17:29 GMT 2008

> 4. I haven't been able to get any of my old superkaramba themes to
> run. Are there any instructions anywhere that really work? I've found
> a few sets of instructions, but none of them seem to work properly.
> Probably they are assuming something that isn't true (a missing
> package or something).
>
> 5. Trying to install widgets from the Internet shows a grand total of
> 2 widgets (C"PU frequency selector" and "Scripted Image"). Obviously
> there are tons more somewhere. How do I configure my system so that it
> finds them when I try the Download from Internet" option?

Check out the plasmoids section on www.kde-look.org.  Most of the plasmoids
are widgets, but there are a few superkaramba themes.

The generic installation instructions are:

# tar -xvzf <plasmoid>.tar.gz
# cd <plasmoid-directory>
# mkdir build
# cd build
# cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` ..
# make
# make install

You will probably need to install some development packages first (google any
error messages you get...it only took me a few minutes to find the right ones).
After the last command, the plasmoid/widget should appear in the Add Widgets
dialog.
Paul