KDE strerr?

Howard Coles jr dhcolesj at comcast.net
Sat May 31 05:34:11 BST 2008

On Thursday 29 May 2008 05:28:52 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/5/29 Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:
> > On Thursday 29 May 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> Where is sdterr for KDE? I have stfw but all I could find was the
> >> question with no answer. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > I think the stderr of all applications started from the main X session is
> > going to .xsession-errors
>
> Thanks, Kevin.
>
> Dotan Cohen

You have to remember, however, that what this really means is that it can be
redirected.  It goes by default to .xsession-errors, however an app may
redirect, or you may redirect to where ever you want.  stderr (standard
error) as an output is more a standard interface than a destination.  The app
just sends the error to "stderr" its up to you, the OS, the app, or in this
case X, to define where that is.

I say all that so that if you look in ".xsession-errors" and don't see appA's
errors, that could just mean that appA has redirected to another location,
and you can change that location.

Dotan, I think you know this, but maybe someone watching this thread is
wondering what "stderr" really is.  stderr, stdin, stdout, etc, are all like
passthrough windows in a restaurant.  I put the food in the window as the
cook, I have no idea what table its going to, and I don't care.  the cook is
the app, and the window is "stderr".   Another function, the waiter in our
example, takes the output, in this case the food, to the destination.

I remember when I starded in Linux, this took me a bit to get a hold of for
some reason.

--

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.