Kmail spell checking gone mad

verslenet-kde at yahoo.fr verslenet-kde at yahoo.fr
Thu May 29 18:01:14 BST 2008

Hi,

I need help understanding kmail's behaviour regarding spell checking.
The problem I have is that it accepts as correct words that do not exist like
mattain matinnée soirrée (in French).

You might say that the problem doesn't lie with kmail but with the dictionary
used. It doesn't seem to be the case though.

I configured kmail to use aspell with dictionary Français (80) (even though it
seems to be the same with every French dictionary) and utf-8 encoding.
It works (well most of the time) but as I said it accepts mattain matinnée
soirrée as correct.

Yet, if I type
        echo mattain matinnée soirrée | aspell -l fr-80 list
then aspell tells me correctly that those words are wrong.

It would be logical to think that those words have been added in a personal
wordlist. But I don't have any (at least not that I know of) and I have the
same behaviour for a newly created. Same thing also on two other machine, one
with the same OS, one with another one.

So where does kmail look for words ? Where does he find a list saying the
aforementioned words are correct ? Why do aspell and kmail give different
results even though kmail is supposed to use aspell ?

Thanks for any help.

PS
My config :
- kmail 1.9.5 using kde 3.5.5
- debian etch (ubuntu dapper on another machine)
-aspell 0.60.4 and "aspell dump dicts" gives
en
en-variant_0
en-variant_1
en-variant_2