Copying into clipboard

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue May 27 18:56:21 BST 2008

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Frank Bures wrote:

> Older versions and other desktop products for different OS's would require
> some action before committing highlighted text to the clipboard.
> Not so KDE 3.5.  It is very easy to rewrite desired clipboard content just
> by deleting something else or unintentionally moving the mouse when
> switching windows.

Check that Klipper (the clipboard utility usually displayed as a clipboard
icon on the system tray area) is configured to keep Clipboard and Selection
separated.

> Example: I highlight the desired text in one window.  The text gets
> automatically copied into the clipboard.  When switching to another window
> the mouse is positioned over the text there and if I move the mouse ever so
> slightly when still holding down the left button, the clipboard gets
> overwritten.

It should only overwrite the selection buffer (which can be pasted using the
middle mouse button), but it should not overwrite the clipboard buffer which
can be pasted using the common actions, e.g. menu, CTRL+V, etc.

> I know there is another clipboard activated by combination of keys which
> does not suffer from this problem.

Right, the main clipboard.

> Question:
> Is there a way how to revert to the old behaviour when one had to click on
> the right button while holding the left button to transfer the highlighted
> content to clipboard?  Or any other possible way of introducing a
> "confirmation" action into the process?

Hmm, you are saying "old behavior", however I am not aware of any KDE version
which had some non-standard selection behavior.
Probably a distribution specific change.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring