KDE 4 autostarting an application

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri May 23 13:16:37 BST 2008

On Friday 23 May 2008 12:41:34 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday 23 May 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I want to start gkrellm at login.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?  It
> > clearly isn't through Autostart (tried it :-) ).  Is 'env' the way in?
>
> 'env' is to early to start GUI apps.
>
> Autostart should work, maybe some items in the necessary .desktop file
> changed.
> See $install_prefix/share/autostart for examples and
> kde4-config --userpath autostart
> for the local destination

OK, I tried gkrellm.desktop in /usr/share/autostart, containing

Encoding=UTF-8
Name=gkrellm
Type=Application
GenericName=gkrellm
Terminal=false
X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
X-KDE-autostart-condition=gkrellm:General:Autostart:true

It must need more than that - it didn't work.  Is there documentation anywhere
for this?  Thanks

Anne