Kmail - deleting email

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri May 23 11:54:43 BST 2008

Hi John,

On Thursday 22 May 2008, John wrote:
> I mentioned this a while ago. I get a lot of spam most of which is filtered
> without problem but I take a look just in case. I'm running 3.5.7 and find
> that I can't delete emails anymore without having 1st read them. They just
> go to trash which allready has that in it making scanning those even more
> difficult. Is there anything I can alter to get the old shift delete back?

It works for me on KDE 3.5.9 from Debian packages. In the worst case this is a
distribution specific modifcation.

> Kevin - if you are about. How come there isn't much kde4 activity on here.
> Where's it gone. It usually gives me some idea when to change. You should
> see the rant on the suse mailing list about 4 in suse 11. Much concern. Not
> surprising given the kde4 that's in suse 10.3 Think I'm going debian.

My guess is that most subscribers on this list are on KDE 3, at least I am.
Even those distributions which additionally package KDE 4 (some 4.0.x or a 4.1
beta) mostly do this to let their users experiment with the new version in
parallel to keeping the old one.

Really switching to KDE 4 is a bit tricky since one needs to have the
same .kde directory to get all config migrated properly but then the config
might become (depends on the application) unusable for the old version.

I am always using the version which comes from my distribtor, Debian, even if
it would be a couple of minor versions behind (it usually isn't since I am on
Debian SID/unstable).
In cases where they ship a new release, e.g. 3.x.0, I even consider waiting
for the first or second update.

Since you are on OpenSUSE, they are going to ship what is mostly a KDE 4.1
beta, but additionally try to get as many fixes from the head of development
as possible, to provide an almost 4.1 final like stability.

If you are not in a hurry, I suggest waiting for the 4.1 final update, or even
for 4.1.1 (which should be about a month later)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring