Kmail and dropping lines

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Thu May 22 07:25:01 BST 2008

Periodically, usually after rain, Telescum's waterlogged lines start
transmitting more noise than signal, and my modem has to fight to extract
anything agonisingly slowly from the mess.   Every now and then it just drops
off the line.   All attempts to get Telescum to fix their lines are met with
evasion and denials.

Kmail, so far as I can tell, first downloads all waiting messages (maybe ~ 100
messages including spams) then, after that, tells the server to delete them
one by one  (I think that's what happens from watching KPPP's graph).
Trouble is, if the line drops after 50 or 95 messages, they don't get deleted
so all 100 are still there on the server when I try again.

So my question - is there any way to tell Kmail to delete each message off the
server immediately it's been downloaded?    (I'm using KPPP, Kmail, POP and
SMTP).

Next question - if the server's been inactive for several minutes, is there
any way to make Kmail send a 'resume' or a 'download' request again in the
hope of waking it up?    (KPPP's graph seems to show that, if I just
click 'Check mail' while it's part-way through the days' messages, nothing
happens - it doesn't send anything to the server.)

Any help welcomed.

cr