Changing K menu

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri May 16 20:28:03 BST 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 14:32:32 Francisco Borges wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > Personally I hate the click forward.  I suppose eventually we'll get to
> > remember where to find things, but hovering over a pop-up is much faster
> > when you need to browse for something.  You can't use the search, either,
> > if you don't know the name of what you seek.  This is very
> > user-unfriendly, IMO.
>
> I could not agree more.
>
> As you mentioned in another email. I also only rely on the k-menu when
> I don't know which program would solve my problems.
>
> [...]
>
> Perhaps you should take a look at these links:
>
> Reasoning behind the new menu (see the slides on the first link)
> http://en.opensuse.org/Kickoff

"Another opinion was that starting your every-day applications not found on
the panel was both too complicated and required too many mouse clicks."

Since my 10 most-used apps were always listed at the top of the menu, it took
just one click.  How many people need more than 10 (plus any on the taskbar)?
Occasional multi-level forays are not much of a problem.

Then they talk of a "scientific study".

"The sample for the study consisted of 30 participants (19 male and 11
female). The mean age of the participants was 33.23 years (rms = 7.0 years).
The participants were either recruited students or employees from various
companies. To ensure a balanced sample, the participants were distributed by
gender, age and experitise to the different conditions:"

A study of 30 participants, and coming from similar backgrounds, does not
qualify as a "scientific study".  I'm a little out of touch, since I've been
retired for a few years, but I seem to recall that the sample should be in
excess of 1000 and from as wide a background as possible for it to have much
significance.

> http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/11/30/kde-4-some-reasons-for-design-deci
>sions/

Interesting reading.

> An alternative to kicker:
> http://www.raptor-menu.org

Yes, I'll certainly look more at that, thanks.

Anne