Lost dcopserver?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed May 14 12:40:18 BST 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 12:18, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > For the last couple of hours I've been struggling with this laptop
> > working on a wireless connection (which is unchanged so far as I know
> > from when it worked normally).  I can get my email from my local imap
> > server, but I cannot reach the internet.  resolve.conf shows the correct
> > dns server entries.
> >
> > I'm not sure just what brought it up, but I have a dialogue box that
> > tells me that "There was an error setting up inter-process communications
> > for KDE. The message returned by the system was:
> >
> > Could not read network connection list.
> > /root/.DCOPserver_anne-wireless.lydgate.lan_0
>
> Does the file exist?

I shut down for the night, so I don't know what the status was at that point.

> Is your hostname resolvable through /etc/hosts?

Yes.  I made all the obvious checks.  I could ping other boxes on the network,
but no address outside the network.

> Btw, you should not be running as root :)

I would not be running as root other than using a root terminal.  I believe
this probably came when I had to cat and vi files under /etc because none of
the kde apps would run properly.  I'll get the laptop up again later today
and see what the status is.

Anne