"Could not find mime-type"

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed May 14 10:57:22 BST 2008

My CentOS box has developed a puzzling problem.  I have messages from kpanel,
kcontrol, konqueror and others - "Could not find mime type
application/octet-stream".  The desktop takes a long time to load, and a .png
thumbnail on the desktop isn't displaying, but apart from that I don't have
much of a clue what has happened.  Nothing seems to appear in messages.

It may have started when I added a mime-type in kcontrol, but I have deleted
that entry and even rebooted, since ending sessions didn't clear it.  I'm out
of ideas on the cause and cure.  Any help, please?

Anne