kmail 1.9.9 forces too much disk I/O

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Fri Mar 21 15:55:57 GMT 2008

Hi all,
I'm using kmail 1.9.9 on ubuntu 7.1 and I've noted two strange things:
1) when kmail starts the disk start working for a few minutes, and the
application seems to be frozen (it do not respond and neither is able to
refresh/repaint its component);
2) sometimes while I'm writing, the digits become very very slow. Someone told
me on this mailing list that it means that kmail is doing some network
activity, but this is very annoying.

Is there something I can do to solve this two annoying problems?

Thanks,
Luca