KDE4 desktop - problems on one laptop only

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 14 16:04:09 BST 2008

This is the third time I've tried to get this message to the list - the other
two disappeared.

I have Mandriva 2008.1 with KDE4 on two laptops.  One functions perfectly.
The second one is giving me big problem.

When I installed, everything looked absolutely fine.  I added a few launchers
to the panel and made a few changes in System Settings.  Still OK.

I then opened two spreadsheets in OpenOffice.  One closed correctly, the other
crashed, and wouldn't close.  I then tried an End Session, which got to a
blank screen with a cursor in the top left-hand corner.

Since then, the panel does not show when I log in.  I can restore it by
right-clicking where it should be, and changing the size.  Sometimes the Run
Command brings up only a shadow, though that seems to rectify itself after a
while.  Asking for a reboot brings up a black and white patch with no text.
Clicking on the right area starts the shutdown, but gets to the black screen
+ cursor, and I have to CtrlAltDel after which it reboots.

Obviously something is either missing or corrupted.  Any advice?

Anne