kde41.ogg screencast won't play

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 6 18:48:19 BST 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008 17:50:45 Nigel Henry wrote:

> Im not sure if I've got the correct totem on Lenny, as I don't normally use
> it. I did download the kde41.ogg file though. Having a quick look in
> synaptic I only have totem-common, and totem-gstreamer installed, not totem
> xine, although xine is installed, but the file won't play on that either.

rpm -qa | grep totem lists

totem-mozilla=gstreamer
libtotem-plparser
totem-common
totem-gstreamer

> Since posting to the list, I tried changing the filter in Kaboodle to
> Ogg/Ogm Video. This time after some seconds of loading the file, Kaboodle
> opens up maximised, and starts to play the file. Various screens for KDE4
> are displayed, but the CPU is still being hammered, and after some 3½ mins
> or so I get  an Error - artsmessage as above.

I've set it running now on my 1.6GHz laptop.  For some reason I haven't got
gkrellm showing the numerical value, but it looks as though it is taking
about 40% cpu.

> A question, as you've been able to play this file. Has it actually got a
> soundtrack? If not, why is the Error - artsmessage claiming "Sound server
> fatal: cpu overload, aborting".

I asked that question.  There is no soundtrack, it is purely a screen-capture.
I can only assume that aRts tries to start as default with any mm. file.  If
I just click on the file I get a message that aRts can't start - I think
that's what it said - but if I 'Open with' Media Player it plays.

Anne