Time problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 5 19:33:45 BST 2008

On Thursday 05 June 2008 17:34:40 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/6/5 Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
> > I enter an appointment, say 10 a.m. on my CentOS server's korganizer, and
> > on my kde4 laptop it shows as 10 a.m.  On my kde3 laptop it shows as 11
> > a.m..
> >
> > The output of 'date' and 'hwclock --show' on all three show BST.  What
> > else should I check?  Thanks
>
> Are either of the machines dual-boot with an MS operating system? When
> I was dual booting I had Windows XP Home Edition move my system clock
> 2 hours (I am GMT+2) every time I booted that OS.

The kde3 laptop does dual-boot with XP, although I rarely use it.  Certainly
this problem has been with me ever since I installed on it, 6 months ago.  I
think I have only logged into windows once in the whole of that time, and I
certainly didn't notice any change then.  I don't think it's XP-related.

> Also, as you see a 1 hour time difference, that makes me suspect a
> daylight savings time error. Just something else to check.

'date' and 'hwclock --show' both indicate that all three machines are running
BST -

date
Thu Jun  5 14:02:56 BST 2008

So - is system-clock the same as hwclock?  Or is there a third variable in the
equation?

Anne