B&W desktop horror

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 31 20:17:08 BST 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2008 20:16:20 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> The file to edit was kwinrc, where there is a clear [Compositing]
>>> section, right at the beginning.  Setting that to Enabled=false got me
>>> back in.
>> Cool, glad you got it fixed.
>>
>>> I don't want fancy effects, but I wanted to use the shading to
>>> differentiate between active and passive windows.  When I've some time to
>>> spare I'll have another go at this, to see whether I can identify where
>>> the problem lies.
>> In my experience, turning on certain effects seems to break things. I
>> have desktop effects turned off, as they don't (currently) seem stable
>> enough for regular use.
>>
>> Note that you can also turn on "inactive window color effects"
>> (Appearance->Colors).
>>
>> Pros:
>> - Far more flexible than the WM effect; you can change the color, do
>> things like dim the text, etc.
>>
>> Cons:
>> - The repaints apparently bother some people
>> - Because it's using the color scheme instead of a WM effect it's "less
>> pervasive" (though, feel free to gripe about particular apps you'd like
>> to see use it better ;-) ), and only works on Qt applications.
>
> We'll see how it goes, but I think this is going to suit me fine, thanks.

Cool :-). (I was thinking, this feels a bit like RGBA, a great idea that
doesn't work well because no one has pushed it into actual use yet...
Anyway, I use it and have no complaints :-), honestly I never understood
the "flicker" complaint.)

--
Matthew
FOSS: Giving people the cage and it's blueprints, gratis. The "L" matters.