lost mouse events

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 29 21:50:00 BST 2008

I haven't figured out the cause of this, but it occurred to me just
recently that it might be kwin-related... I have this problem where
periodically (i.e. "usually several times per day") my desktop (KDE
trunk) stops responding to mouse events. The cursor still moves, the
machine otherwise works normally, but all mouse clicks are apparently
sent to /dev/null.

The darndest thing is, if I fire up KVM (Win XP guest), let it boot, and
do an OS shutdown, the mouse works again. (SDL grab+release doesn't fix
it, starting KVM and shutting it down doesn't... it has to go through
booting XP and shutting down XP, and when kvm goes away it works again.)
But it isn't a kvm problem because it can break when kvm isn't running.

xidump shows that the mouse events are getting into X.

Any thoughts? Any guesses what to blame, or how to debug?

--
Matthew
Save soybeans! Avoid TOFU! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style)