B&W desktop horror

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 29 20:16:20 BST 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> The file to edit was kwinrc, where there is a clear [Compositing] section,
> right at the beginning.  Setting that to Enabled=false got me back in.

Cool, glad you got it fixed.

> I don't want fancy effects, but I wanted to use the shading to differentiate
> between active and passive windows.  When I've some time to spare I'll have
> another go at this, to see whether I can identify where the problem lies.

In my experience, turning on certain effects seems to break things. I
have desktop effects turned off, as they don't (currently) seem stable
enough for regular use.

Note that you can also turn on "inactive window color effects"
(Appearance->Colors).

Pros:
- Far more flexible than the WM effect; you can change the color, do
things like dim the text, etc.

Cons:
- The repaints apparently bother some people
- Because it's using the color scheme instead of a WM effect it's "less
pervasive" (though, feel free to gripe about particular apps you'd like
to see use it better ;-) ), and only works on Qt applications.

--
Matthew
Save soybeans! Avoid TOFU! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style)