Any KDE GUI-based equivalent of the Unix "write" command?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Jul 28 23:41:07 BST 2008

Alessandro Bottoni wrote:
> Wilson, Richard E ha scritto:
>> It's not KDE, but I have used xmessage to do exactly what you seem to be
>> looking for.
>
> Thanks but that it is not what I was looking for. XMessage, like KDialog
> and Zenity, can show a message box to the current user only.
>
> I need a way to send a alert to another user of the same machine.

There's a KDE service that catches 'write' and 'wall' messages.  I think
that's exactly what you want.  It's in "KDE Components->Service
Manager": http://tinyurl.com/669pws

If you do "write username" in a console, the user will get a window on
his screen.  Usual write rules apply (mesg y).

This apparently needs the "kwrited" daemon.  I don't know in which KDE
package it resides :P