B&W desktop horror

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 28 23:28:55 BST 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I finally got 4.0.99 onto my F9 box and started to explore systemsettings.  I
> made some change in the appearance section and very briefly saw a patch that
> looked like 'accept this setting or revert?' type message, just as the whole
> screen went black, with a white rectangle where the dialogue box had been.
>
> Clearly the way out of this is to rename a config file in ~/.kde/share/config/
> so that it can rebuild, but which file?

That sounds like kwin's composite mode (i.e. "desktop effects"), so the
config you're looking for is either kdeglobals (probably not, but might
be) or something kwin, and if you want to be surgical, the setting
should be something about 'effects' or 'composite'.

Alternatively: 'pkill kwin', launch another WM, go back to
systemsettings, disable desktop effects (desktop->desktop effects),
restart kwin.

(Anyone that knows where kwin's composite option is stored in the config
should speak up now ;-).)

--
Matthew
"Adriaan has bin AWOL"