rc1 advice needed

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 21 17:59:29 BST 2008

On Monday 21 July 2008 16:25:41 Brendan wrote:
> On Monday 21 July 2008, Kishore wrote:
> > On Monday 21 Jul 2008 8:11:20 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >   I decided to grab rc1 for my Fedora box.  All appeared to go well
> > > until the end, when it said that some icons conflicted with those from
> > > F9.  The result is that all the packages are cached, but I daren't
> > > start manually installing them, for fear of the conflict leaving me
> > > with an unusable desktop.
> > >
> > > How can I handle this to cause least damage?  It must be a known
> > > problem, as others do run 4.0.98 or 4.0.99.
> >
> > Someone pitch in here... Does yum or apt-rpm or whatever have an
> > equivalent to "apt-get install -f"?
>
> dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/nameofpackage held back...
>
> apt-get install -f

It's yum in Fedora, not apt :-)  OK - I can force.  I just didn't know whether
I was asking for trouble if I did so.  It's something I normally avoid, but
since the only problems reported concerned the icon packages, maybe it's
relatively safe.  If nno-one screams at me to hold off, I'll try that in the
morning.  Thanks

Anne