Where are File Associations kept?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 14 12:16:21 BST 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> A 3.5 user has somehow got every file type attempting to open with kuickshow.
> I'm wondering if he can edit the relevant rc file, simply deleting all his
> file associations, so that he can recreate them?  Or maybe we could even
> provide him with a working section to paste in their place.
>
> Anne

use 'find -newer' method to locate them/it.

never had call to look to see if a single of several files.

use 'touch markerfn' to create a file and time stamp it.

then open 'control center' > 'kde components' > 'file association', use
'text - plain' and edit 'application preference order', click 'apply'.

then run 'find / -newer markerfn -print > changelist'.

use what you wish ever for 'markerfn' and 'changelist'.

to save search time, '/etc' and '/usr' would be more likely directories
to check. there could also be something in '~/', as 'users' can make
changes, maybe not.

hth.

--

tc,hago.