Mandriva 2008.1 and Krec

Basil Fowler b.j.fowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 08:22:42 BST 2008

I have recently upgraded my system from Ubuntu 6.10 with an updated KDE
(3.5.?) to Mandriva Spring 2008.1 running KDE 3.5.9.

I have a problem with sound. Sound is produced without problems from CDs,
DVDs, and Internet streams. The problem comes when I want to record any of
these streams using Krec or any other recording program such as Audacity.
I cannot connect the input of Krec to either of the card output or input bus,
and see any movement in the level meter (aRts Control).

The sound card is integral to the motherboard and KinfoCenter describes it as
a VIA 8237.

In the Ubuntu installation, it was necessary to ensure that Kmix was set
correctly, to wit, the red indicator "Mix" in the "Switches" tab had to be
active.  I have tried all various combinations of settings for Kmix, but to
no avail.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Basil Fowler