Questions on setting up KDE 4.0.5

Tue Jul 8 04:52:53 BST 2008

On Tuesday 08 Jul 2008 4:53:33 am Wilson, Richard E wrote:
> I manage a large number of servers in different locations, so I created
> separate desktops (16) for each region to help keep them straight.  I have
> short abbreviations I use for the desktops menu buttons that let me switch
> desktops more easily.  So, under KDE 3.5 on the bottom tool bar I don’t
> have the desktop number displayed, but my abbreviations.  There seems to be
> no option to do this under KDE 4 (it only turns on or off the display of
> the desktop number).

This is possible in 4.1 but im not sure about 4.0.x. in 4.1, right click on
the pager and select "Pager Settings". In the configuration dialog there
should be an option to display number or name.

> I further set the desktop backgrounds to be distinct
> so that I can tell with a glance which desktop I have up under KDE 3.5.
> Again I haven’t been able to figure out how to accomplish this under KDE
> 4.  Can anybody tell me how to change these two items

So you mean, a different wallpaper for each virtual desktop. AFAIK there is no
equivalent to this yet. I do not know if this is in the making either as there
are going to be some changes here when the "Zooming User Interface" and
"Activities" concept of plasma catches up. Maybe 4.2.
--
Cheers!
Kishore