starting a new X session in kde4

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 12:37:38 BST 2008

Try the brute force method...

>From within an X session, type CTRL+ALT+F2.  This will get you to a console outside the current X session.
(the open session will be at ALT+F7)

Login.  Then enter start a new X session.

startx -- :1 (starts a new session w/ the default window manager)
startx /usr/bin/startkde -- :1 (starts a new kde3 session)
startx /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde -- :1 (starts a new kde4 session)

You can switch between the two sessions at ALT+F7 and ALT+F8

The locations of the startkde scripts may vary between distros.
Paul