Installing kde from scratch

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 15:19:43 GMT 2008

I haven't looked to see if it's possible but I wondered if one of the bootable
cd/dvds could be used to install source to a hard drive. I suspect that
knopix might be the best bet.

My basic idea was to install dual boot, a kernel,shell etc and so on up to
KDE. Once I have that other things aren't a problem. I find that the suse
distro for instance often doesn't have what I want on it. For me the best
source repository is google etc -> sourceforge or the authors web page. The
problem for me is that I would need some concise help about options and
installation - not the usual verbose stuff that's about which is why I asked
about web links.

It's a pity KDE doesn't do it's own un supported distro. That would be
wonderful. Just KDE's normal apps and nothing else except maybe cups. 2 such
installations on a machine would leave something to go back to if things got
messed up or the latest KDE proved unsuitable for a while until its sorted
out. Developers might find it useful as a test bench standard too. It could
even make upwards migration easier. If any one is tempted I would hope they
would also add the facilities for dual booting an existing windoze partitions
though. Unfortunately I have to use it from time to time and have a feeling
from the specs that a vm will cripple my cpu.

John

--
Regards
John