Cannot add Brother printer

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 23:05:02 GMT 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008 22:04, Rick Miles wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 05:23:47 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On Debian etch, I downloaded the drivers for Brother dcp7010 from the
> > Brother website, but I cannot add the printer in Kcontrol ->
> > Peripherals -> Printers -> Add. THe text "Add printer/class" is grey.
> > This is the site from where I downloaded the drivers:
> > http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_drivers.html#de
> >
> > What must I do to enable the addition of the printer? Thanks in advance.
>
> <snip>
> Grey out can mean the option is not available and it might not be available
> if you do not have permissions for the option. While I use a different
> distro, I could not add a printer unless I was root.

I have had a simular problem with a samsung laser that comes with it's own
linux driver. The printer isn't mentioned in the cups list either. If I
install from roots desktop all is ok and I can add and enable the printer.

I networked it later via an axis print server. I could only do that by
manually editing the cups conf files.

--
Regards
John