problems and doubt about kde4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jan 28 12:09:26 GMT 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008, Luca Ferrari wrote:

> A first problem I've got is about the screen, it seems that the screen size
> is not correct, and thus the second line of the panel is not shown
> entirely, but is below the screen down margin. The same happens with
> kopete, that when pops up a message dialog, it shows it under the screen (I
> can see only the upper corners).

Hmm.
You can run
xdpyinfo
on a console and see if it correctly reports the size you expect to have.
If it does it could be a bug in the window manager.

> The second question is about the panel itself: in the kde 3.5 it was
> possible to move the pager, to show the iconized programs of the current
> desktop (and not of the all desktops) and to display them on two lines.
> Moreover it was possible to add a tray for konsole applications, now I
> didn't find the way to do it. Finally, it was possible to set the panel
> size and position. I don't find this settings in the kde 4, if anyone knows
> about them please advice.

The GUI portions of some configuration items have been missing in the 4.0
release. Most of them will be fixed in the 4.0.x bug fix releases, one every
month,

> I've got also a problem that seems to be a bug reported here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kde4pim/+bug/139186
> I cannot run kmail because it claims for an invalid symbol. As a result,
> I'm using kmail 3.5.8 but this makes the integration of the desktop harder.
> Any idea on how to solve?

KMail for KDE 4 has not been release yet, i.e. the kdepim module is not part
of the KDE 4.0 release.
If it is installable on your distribution, they decided to ship an unreleased
version and bug reports are their responsibility until an official release
has happend.

> Finally, something about effects: I can see that the widget for switching
> between windows (ALT+TAB) is the old one (i.e., the one of kde3.5) and that
> I cannot see previews of desktops and iconized programs. How to enable
> them?

Look somewhere in System Settings, an item named desktop effects or something
similar.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring