Environemt for KDE programs started from the desktop icon

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jan 21 23:56:28 GMT 2008

Frank Bures wrote:
> I am having a weird problem with KDE 3.5.4.
>
> I use modified .cshrc and .kshrc which I have been using on various
> *NIXes for years.  If I open a Konsole and do 'locale' I get correct
> values for all relevant variables in all shells (ksh, csh, bash).
> If I run 'k3b' (compiled from source) in any of those shells I get no
> complains.
>
> Now, if I open K3B by clicking on its Desktop icon, it complains about
> unset locale variables, namely
> "System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968"
>
> There is no option to change the shell k3b is running in by right clicking
> the icon and opening Properties.
>
> Question:  How can I path the correct environmental settings onto the
> K3B icon?

The environment should be set in a shell 'profile' script NOT in an *rc
file.  With plain Shell, this is ~/.profile and with Bash it is
~/.bash_profile  With the Corn Shell (if the man page is correct), this
is called: ~/.login but it serves the same function.

There is also the issue of whether this is being read before KDE is
started.  If you use KDM to login there are two ways this can be
accomplished:

1.	The file "xsession" can be a login script.

2.	"xsession" can explicitly source the file.

{don't do both} :-)

--
JRT