Virtualization (again)

David david.maillists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 21:31:13 GMT 2008

You guys are abusing the system :-P The best way to learn something is to
try it :-) Try VirtualBox yourself, damn it, it won't bite you! :-D

Say I install virtualbox on linux and then windoze into virtualbox. If I'm
> not
> running a windoze program does virtualbox use or limit my cpu.

Two different things: 1: VirtualBox is running. 2: VirtualBox is running and
one or more virtual machines are running. In case 1, VirtualBox consumes
just like another Linux programme (little). In case 2: you have to consider
that the virtual machines are consuming processor and RAM. You can limit the
amount of RAM for each Virtual Machine. Let us suppose that your PC has 1 GB
of RAM and you are running two virtual machines (say XP and Vista) who have
each one allocated 0.5 GB. So they may consume all together 0.5+0.5 GB = 1
GB, so you will notice that Linux is slow :-) Now, imagine that you lower
both to 256 MB. So XP is running on a "computer" of 256 MB, so it will be
slow. Vista is running on a "computer" of 256 MB, so no comments :-)

Another way of asking the question is can virtualbox be stopped and started
> just like a normal program - some or all of it?

If you exit VirtualBox, you have first either to shut the virtual machines
down (just like when you shut down Windows or Linux), or to snapshot them
(by the way, you can save different snapshots of the same virtual machine).

> If you want to keep them both on the same drive you can use a wubi

I really don't see any advantage of wubi over VirtualBox. AFAIK, you will
end up with a fresh installation of Ubuntu. If it is what you want, maybe it
is more straightforward, OK...

> I corrupted my grub on the drive so now I am starting over with my disk
and updates.

First of all, you do not have to install everything from scratch to
reinstall GRUB. But, if you want to install from scratch, and you plan to
switch between Linux and Windows very often, maybe it is the moment to use
VirtualBox instead of installing in separate partitions...

And, to sum up: learning involves practice. Try things yourself (they won't
bite you) and ask after trying.