Replacing commas with tabs in KWrite

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Feb 5 07:31:31 GMT 2008

Frank Bures wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to edit a comma delimited database file so that it becomes tab
> delimited.  In OS/2 I just globally searched for ',' and then replaced it
> with ASCII [09] character by entering <Alt-0-9>.
> I cannot do that in KWrite as KWrite does not interpret <Alt> at all
> and just enters "09" in the 'Replace with' field.
> When I try to enter <Tab>, it just takes me to another field.
>
> How do you replace anything with unprintable characters in KWrite?
> (short of using vi of course :-))

Unfortunately, using the Qt paradigm, results in the fact that there is
no way to enter characters except to use the keyboard.  The result is
that you can't enter unprintable characters using their numerical code.
  This is a long standing problem that I guess we just have to learn to
live with.

So, to enter special and unprintable characters (in this case a HT), you
need to use KCharSelect.  Select the character which you need and then
"To Clipboard" and paste into the "Replacement text" box in the "Replace
Text" dialog.  The unprintable characters will only show as blanks (not
very handy).  If you select character 0009 this way, KWrite will use HT
as a replacement text.

--
JRT