Replacing commas with tabs in KWrite

Frank Bures lisfrank at chem.toronto.edu
Mon Feb 4 18:03:33 GMT 2008

Eyolf Ă˜strem wrote:
> On 04.02.2008 (11:39), Frank Bures wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to edit a comma delimited database file so that it becomes tab
>> delimited.  In OS/2 I just globally searched for ',' and then replaced it
>> with ASCII [09] character by entering <Alt-0-9>.
>> I cannot do that in KWrite as KWrite does not interpret <Alt> at all
>> and just enters "09" in the 'Replace with' field.
>> When I try to enter <Tab>, it just takes me to another field.
>>
>> How do you replace anything with unprintable characters in KWrite?
>> (short of using vi of course :-))
>

> Get over it and use vim :)
> open the file, type :%s/,/\t/g to replace all commas with tabs

Thanks for both replies, but they do not answer my question.
I am well aware of hundreds of possible ways how to edit a text file
using shells, sed, awk, C, C++, Java or any other possible tool.

My question was "is there a way how to do it in KWrite?"
Or in any other KDE based GUI editor?

I hope this explanation clears the confusion.

Cheers
Frank

--

<feeb at chem.utoronto.ca>