KDE3 KDE4 mix

Bob Stia rnr at sanctum.com
Fri Feb 1 02:42:50 GMT 2008

On Thursday 31 January 2008 11:47:08 am Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Bob Stia wrote:

> >> Um... check what your $PATH is? It sounds like PATH is pointing to KDE4
> >> for your normal user, and KDE3 when you log in as root.
> >
> > Thanks for replying. Hadn't thought of that. You mean the other way
> > around, don't you?  No, seems that both the user and root point to
> > /opt/kde3. kde4 is in /usr/share You mean the kdesu path? Is that
> > different maybe?
>
> PATH for kdesu might not be the same as when you inspect it in e.g.
> Konsole, if that's what you mean. If you're on linux, you might try
> poking around in /proc (most reliable, but not easy - in fact, I'm not
> sure what process you would look for), otherwise using kdesu to run
> /bin/env in a terminal window might do it (not sure about that,
> though... OTOH 'xterm', with no args, might work).
>
> Anyone know how to get the environment of the KDE session? :-)
>
> > I was hoping that somebody else was seeing what I was seeing.
>
> Well, I'm not running a full KDE4 environment yet, so... :-) It
> definitely sounds like PATH for kdesu is such that it's finding kde4
> first when you don't want it to. Anyway, I would guess the fix is
> fiddling with something in either .bashrc, .bash_profile, or one of the
> GUI startup scripts (forget exactly what those are, sorry... I want to
> say $KDEHOME/env but I'm not sure). And then there's the script the
> login manager runs, which I can't find either :-(.

Thanks Matthew,

I'll keep searching around and take a look at your suggestions to see what I
can find.  This is not a show stopper, Easy enough to live with but I just
find it strange and has made me curious.

I did try booting into kde4 and ran $PATH for the user and root.. Each of
their paths showed both /opt/kde3  and /user/share/kde4. If I can figure it
out I will post to the list. Still think it is some kind of bug because of
the mix.

Bob S