Moving Kontact from KDE3 to KDE4

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 19:40:21 GMT 2008

On Saturday 27 December 2008 Hans Muecke wrote:

> Am Samstag, 27. Dezember 2008 11:34:56 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> > 2008/12/27 Hans Muecke <kde at 4077th-mash.net>:
> > > Howdy friends,
> > >
> > > After several unsuccessful attempts to install a working KDE 4
> > > with Suse11.0 I finally have a working environment with KDE4
> > > (after learning which settings shouldn't be touched in the
> > > look-and-feel section).
> > >
> > > Anyway ... I am quite happy with the new KDE and I have been
> > > using it for some days now. However I am still using some KDE3
> > > stuff, most importantly the PIM, since in the version for KDE4
> > > Knode seems to be missing. Question for now ...
> > >
> > > Should I decide to drop Kontakt/KDE3 and go with KDE4 what
> > > would configs would I have to copy from .kde to .kde4 to have
> > > all the settings? I played around with Kmail and all my
> > > idendities and accounts were lost.
> > >
> > > Thanks for taking the time!
> >
> > In regard to Korganizer and Kaddressbook, if you do not have too
> > many personalized settings you might want to just export your
> > calendar and
>
> The only thing I did, was copying the kmail/kaddressbook/korganzier
> folder from .kde to .kde4 ... all my mails, contacts and calendars
> where still there. However ... all settings for idendities, and
> accounts  didn't make the trip. And since I have quite a number of
> email accounts I really would prefer to safe the hazle of doing the
> good old manual input ... :-)

The configuration files are all in ~/.kde/share/config.  It's fairly
obvious from the names of the files which ones you'll want to copy. If
in doubt, sometimes reading the file will disclose enough information
to confirm the application that it belongs to. (For PIM, you'll also
probably want ~/.kde/share/config/kresources/)

Jim