OK -I'm trying

Peter Lewis lewisp at avex.co.uk
Fri Dec 26 11:40:11 GMT 2008

On Friday 26 December 2008 01:04:10 Bob Stia wrote:
> On Thursday 25 December 2008 06:01:30 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 December 2008 00:05:25 Bob Stia wrote:
> > > Hello KDE list
> > >
> > > Wellll....I'm trying. I want to be a believer in KDE4, so I downloaded
> > > 11.1 with KDE4.1 to try it out as a test bed. ( I tried previously with
> > > 11.0 and KDE4.0 and I hated it. So I just didn't touch it until 4.1
> > > came along) I must say it is an improvement and can do many more things
> > > than in 4.0. Hopefully it will continue to improve.
> > >
> > > Now....I have a few questions here after spending hours playing with
> > > it. Hopefully some of the newly endowed KDE4 gurus can set me straight.
> >
> > Hi, Bob.  I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer some.
> >
> > > 1 How does one get an application on the task bar? eg: Kmail. Konsole,
> > > Gimp, Kwrite, etc.?
> >
> > Find it in the menu - type the name into the search bar, if it's not
> > obvious - then right-click it.  You will be given the option of putting
> > an icon onto the desktop or onto the panel.
>
> Hello Anne,
>
> Nope, No dialogue. Doesn't work. If I right click it (eg. kmail) it opens
> the app. But I can then close the app and drag it to the desktop folder,
> which works. If I try to drag it to the task bar it crashes kicker (task
> bar) Had to delete plasmarc and start over.
>
> Kicker (or Task Bar) is really funky. You can't add apps except what is
> already there and trying to move stuff around is an absolute nightmare.
>
> > > 3. How does one change the icons for different functions? (Presently
> > > both the screensaver and log out functions are using the Dolphin icon)
> >
> > Do you mean in the menu?  If so, does OpenSUSE give you a menu editor?
> > That's the place to change the icon, if it does.  Click on the old icon
> > and you should see what's available to you.
>
> No in the task bar, and no left or right clicks bring up any kind of menu.
> Have no idea about how to do that. Wouldn't think that the screensaver or
> the "log out" had their own icon or if it did, where to find it.

Hi Bob,

From the above one has to guess that you have some problem in your mouse right
click or some very strange settings in the KDE menu system.
I am running KDE 4.1 under openSuse 11.0 and I have a little chameleon icon at
the left end of my menu/control panel (which on my system I have along the
bottom of the screen. When I hover over the chameleon icon it is highlighted
by increased contrast (darker green).
When in this state I can left click to see the menu panel, a tabbed panel with
the tabs at the bottom and the "Favourites" tab selected (thank you KDE for
the correct English English spelling). The other tabs are Applications,
Computer, Recently Used and Leave.
I can right click on the chameleon to see Menu Editor, Switch to Classic Menu
Style, Application Launcher Settings, Panel Options (with sub menu >) and
Remove this Application Launcher.

If you do not get this response to left click it may be a setup problem, if
you do not get this response to right click then it could well be a mouse
setup problem.

--
Best Regards
Peter Lewis