How to exclude xmessages being saved when session is saved

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue Dec 23 18:50:55 GMT 2008

I may have already asked this, but still havn't resolved the problem.

In ~/.kde/autostart, I have 2 xmessages set up, which show up on the desktop
when logging in. As I have multiple distros on this machine, one xmessage
simply tells me which distro I've booted up. The other xmessage shows when
the distro was last updated.

Now I'm quite happy with the KDE session being saved, but the problem is with
the xmessages which are saved, because when next logging in to KDE, the
shellscripts which produce the xmessages are being run again, and I end up
with multiple instances of the xmessages on the desktop.

Someone suggested setting a timeout for the xmessages, but that's not really
what I'm looking for.

Is there some way to exclude the xmessages being saved, but still save the
rest of the session when logging out of KDE?

Perhaps I'm asking a bit much, but worth asking the question.

Nigel.

btw. this is on both KDE3, and KDE4.