Switched to KDE4

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Dec 21 10:16:37 GMT 2008

Hallo

some additions to my own post as there are some - how should I say -
new point of views.

Am Montag, 15. Dezember 2008 schrieb Martin (KDE):
> Hallo
>
> I have switched to KDE4 the Weekend before last Weekend (as I
> switched from fedora 8 to fedora 10). Besides minor glitches with
> fedora update most went as expected. Here is my point of view from
> KDE 4.1.3 as a user who was (is) used to KDE 3.5.10.
>
> Dolphin, as far as I have found all settings, is currently not as
> complete as konqui was in 3.5.
> - The preview is almost unusable. Most Informations of files are
> missing (like mp3 tags, picture exiv infos and so on). As I played
> a little bit with the beta of 4.2 I know that the preview will
> become much better in the future. So this point is not very
> problematic. - The preference setting of files is cut down to a
> nearly unneded info dialog (besides changing file name an
> permissions). There is no way to edit comment and other tags of
> graphics and sound files. As for sound files I can use juk or other
> stuff, but for editing graphic exif data currently only digikam is
> usable. Even to get the picture size you have to start gwenview.
>
> PIM/Kontact: afaik it has the same functionality as the the one of
> KDE 3.5. I use it every day and besides it is a little bit slower
> than my 3.5 I have only minor annoyances
> - if I drag a mail from my Inbox to a folder the destination folder
> is no longer highlighted - I miss the feedback in wich folder the
> mail will be copied/moved
> - with Akregator the layout is never stored as I set it up (sorted
> by date and smaler news list at top and a bigger windows to read
> the news text). after almost every restart the news are sorted by
> topic and the news text is only half as large as the list above) I
> have removed all akregator files but nothing changed.

All of a sudden Akregator no longer mixed my layouts. Afaik there were
no updates in between. There seems to be life in my computer ;-))

> Gwenview is not my favorite program for viewing pictures. I hope
> showview will come soon.

I have played with gwenview a little and I like it much better than a
week ago. Especially the full-screen view is very well done.

> I miss a programm like KAudioCreator in my KDE4. Currently it is
> not available for fedora 10.

Currently I use abcde for encoding my CDs. It makes a good job, but
has the same problem with umlauts as KAudioCreator. Since I use utf8
all non standard ascii characters are displayed wrong. Any Hints?

> General:
> - The setting of the toolbar is not realy consistent. I don't like
> the text unter the icons so I switched to icons only in the system
> settings dialog. But not all programs follows this setting (digikam
> showed a mix of both).
> - I don't like the way of KDE system settings as they are presented
> now. The forward and backward switching is not optimal (in my
> oppinion). I often close the whole dialog by accident instead of
> switching back to "main menu". I am a fan of the old tree-view
> thing. Maybe there will be once a system settings dialog with
> differnt kind of views and one will be the tree-view.

I get slowly used to the new system. What I don't understand: Why does
Konqui setting have a treeview and the main system setting has not?

Martin