Making the "Folder View" widget less ugly.

Scott Beamer geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Sun Dec 21 04:37:38 GMT 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Scott Beamer wrote:
>> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> You can also use a folder view /as/ the desktop. (At least in 4.2...)
>>
>> And I would know this because?
>
> I wasn't expecting that you would, which is why I mentioned it? It
> wasn't meant to be associated with the response beneath it. Rather, as I
> believe it is new to 4.2, I was trying to helpfully inform you of a
> change you might be interested to know about.
>
> (And, no, I don't know if any distro is shipping 4.2-beta.)

Actually, I just realized that openSUSE  has modded KDE 4.1 in it's just released openSUSE 11,1 so that it has implemented the new desktop features from KDE 4.2.  They call it something like "KDE 4.1 'release 9'"

And it's awesome. It's the way KDE 4 should have been done in the first place.

>>> You do realize you can change the style, or even make your own?
>>
>> And I would realize this because?
>>
>> Call me crazy, but KDE 4 isn't exactly what I'd call Intuitive (at least
>> not compared to KDE 3.x or GNOME).
>
> Have you not found the configuration dialog? (It's on the desktop
> right-click menu, which, as that seems to be where it is on every DE
> I've used, doesn't strike me as hard to find.) I found it odd that you
> seemed to be complaining about the implementation while knowing very
> little about it, such as that you can use different themes.

I didn't realize the style I was speaking of (the "Folder View" widget) was part of the same plasma themes that one sees on the panels.  That is why I said what I said.  But since you knew that already and I didn't......

I was confused by this.  I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I was just confused and frustrated.  KDE has really changed things (notably terminology) with KDE 4 and I'm still getting used to it.

Please pardon my previous abrupt responses. My apologies.

Scott