Need help with KDE4 on SuSE 11.1

Jerry Houston Jerry at effjayare.net
Sat Dec 20 00:04:55 GMT 2008

I updated to openSuSE 11.1 today, and KDE4, which had been working fine on my
11.0 installation turned absolutely awful.

When I log on, it launches several applications that I had running in an
earlier session, but puts them on one desktop, not on the eight that I've
always used.  There are no caption bars on the windows, so I can't move them,
or close them.

There was a thin strip of the bottom panel showing from behind a full-screen
copy of Konqueror (a strip about 4 pixels tall), and somehow I managed to
close that panel while trying to resolve the problems.  So now, no menus, no
caption bars, and 4 or 5 applications that I can't move or close.  I've only
been able to bail out by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and logging off.

I found out that if I log on as root, with a KDE4 session, everything looks as
it should.  So it's definitely a per-user problem.  I'd love to find a way to
delete whatever is responsible for this configuration, and go back to a
default KDE4 desktop.

Can someone please tell me how to do that?  I haven't found anything in the
desktop configuration that will fix it.

Thanks!