Making the "Folder View" widget less ugly.

Scott Beamer geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Thu Dec 18 23:28:52 GMT 2008

Desktop icons are pretty much a "standard equipment" option everywhere (or even a default in many instances - see KDE 3.5, GNOME 2.x, Windows 95 through Vista or any Mac OS for details).

And I frankly find that to be my #1 issue with KDE4 (otherwise, KDE4 has a beautiful interface).

As far as I know, the only way to view icons on the desktop is via the "Folder View" widget.

The problem is, that widget is just plain ugly.

At the very least I'd like this widget's background to be *completely* transparent.

It dries me nuts.  It makes the desktop look less "clean".

Now granted, a bunch of icons on the desktop is also not a "clean" look and I generally do keep my desktop defaults perfectly clean.  But depending on what I'm doing, I've always found it convenient to throw something temporarily on the desktop for follow-up.  And I really find that this "folder view" widget is just annoying in it's present form.

Is anyone aware of any plans to implement any changes in this widget?

Thanks