Destroyed my Display

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 17 22:32:26 GMT 2008

Wilson, Richard E wrote:
> I renamed my ~/.kde and everything is working again... have to recreate
> all my personalizations, but I can handle that.
>
> The system is an old Compaq AP550 Workstation with an Elsa Synergy II
> video card (32MB of RAM) which Linux identifies as an NVidia RIVA model
> (has for the last several Fedora versions).  The display is a Compaq
> 7020 (1280x1024 default) flat panel.  From the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> file, the driver is "nv".

The symptoms previously described sounds *exactly* like what I get
trying to use composite with nvidia... basically, the shadows work (the
faint outline visible), but everything else is solid black. You can
probably safely copy back all of your settings except for kwinrc (and
even that, you could find and disable composite).

--
Matthew
"...anyway, that's my 0.02 toasters"