Trying to control Konq profile

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue Aug 19 20:21:02 BST 2008

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 19:45, Kishore wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 Aug 2008 10:13:02 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Kishore said the following at 08/19/2008 08:05 AM :
> > > As james suggests, you should save settings per folder which is
> > > respected well and such issues are the among the reasons why dolphin
> > > was created too.
> >
> > OK, so at this point I am lost.
> >
> > Does this mean that at least one person here thinks that there is a
> > precise recipe for my original question? which was:
> >
> > ----
> >
> > 1. Open on the about:konqueror screen
> > 2. When I view a directory (and, in particular, when I click on the
> > "home" icon on the about:konqueror page), view the directory in treeview
> > mode.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > If someone thinks that they have such a recipe, I would be most grateful
> > if they would post the steps :-) I apologise if said person thinks that
> > they have already provided enough information; like I say, I am lost :-0
>
> Doc, are you new to KDE? Are you on KDE 4? If you are not too attached to
> konqueror for file management, i would recommend using dolphin for the
> same.
>
> I used to be a konqueror power user when in kde3. I disliked even the idea
> dolphin then. Dolphin got better in 4.0 and i made an attempt to switch.
> Now in 4.1 it is  indispensable to me. Incidentally, some of my
> new-to-linux friends prefer dolphin to konq even in kde3!
>
> Dolphin is more focused at file management and hence does it better IMHO.
>
> If you chose to continue to use konq, read ahead. Since you mention that
> you use kubuntu, you will need to manually edit config files and the
> kubuntu guys decided to remove this option from the menu.
>
> First make sure that there is no session of konqueror running. To be sure,
> on a command line execute "killall konqueror" a few times until it says
> that no process was killed. Then open ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc and
> find the section "[MainView Settings]" without the quotes. Add it if it
> does not already exist. Add "SaveViewPropretiesLocally=true" without the
> quotes under the above mentioned section.
>
> Now launch konqueror and adjust the view in the folder (~/). The next time
> you view the folder it will use the same view mode.
>
> Hope that helps!

I'm not the OP, but I've tried what you suggested above.

<quote>
First make sure that there is no session of konqueror running. To be sure,
 on a command line execute "killall konqueror" a few times until it says
 that no process was killed. Then open ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc and
 find the section "[MainView Settings]" without the quotes. Add it if it
 does not already exist. Add "SaveViewPropretiesLocally=true" without the
 quotes under the above mentioned section.
<end quote>

Apart from a little typo, where Propreties should read Properties, this
solution to the problem works fine.

I've tried this on Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04, where D.R. "Doc" Evans was having
a problem, and the solution above works like magic.

Thanks Kishore for the fix.

Nigel.