Problems creating desktop launchers on KDE4

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Aug 6 22:49:47 BST 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 22:18, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2008 19:44:05 Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I now have 2 distros that are using KDE4, Archlinux, and Fedora 9. Some
> > problems I have resolved myself, but I'm having a problem creating
> > desktop launchers for apps.
> >
> > For example on my FC2 install, I simply right click on the desktop, and
> > get a menu, with amongst other things "create new", which expands to
> > "folder", "file", and "device". "file" will enable me to create a link to
> > application. Device will enable me to, for example create a desktop
> > launcher to a harddrive device that is already setup in /etc/fstab.
> >
> > When I right click on the desktop with KDE4, I have virtually no options,
> > and without doubt the "create new" option does not exist, either on
> > Archlinux, or Fedora 9.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to the procedure on KDE4, that allows me to "create
> > new", which is so easy on FC2, and pre KDE4 distros.
>
> Hi, Nigel.  Are you still on 4.0.5, or have you got Rex's 4.0.98?  If the
> former, you're stuck for a few more days, but if the latter you need
> folderview.  To get this you first install a folderview widget.  The you
> use the cashew to zoom out.  Touch the cashew again and you have more
> options, one of which is to create a folderview.   The default will be of
> your home, but in the properties you can make it point to anywhere you
> like.
>
> A handle appears at the side when you hover over it.  If you hit the top
> icon and drag you can change the size of the folderview.  Make it tiny, if
> you like, as long as you can still see the controls.  HTH
>
> Anne

Hi Anne. At the moment I'm still downloading updates for F9 on dialup. This is
on a fresh install, and about 50% of some 800+MB are downloaded. Looking at
the packages that apt-get is downloading, kdelibs 4.0.3-7.fc9 is being
upgraded to 4.0.5-5.fc9, which is not quite the same as 4.0.98.

My Archlinux install was upgraded from 3.5.9 to 4.1, so perhaps may be a bit
ahead of Fedora 9 at the moment, though I must say that the difference
between KDE 3.5.9, and KDE4 takes some getting used to. The default
background, both on Fedora9, and Archlinux was extremely dark. I have been
able to change that on F9
though. /usr/share/backgrounds/waves/waves-normal-3-night.png appears to be
the default, and I changed that
to /usr/share/backgrounds/waves/waves-normal-0-morn.png, which is more
pleasing to view.

Could you either explain a couple of new words that you've used here, mainly
"folderview", and "cashew", or point me to where I can find more info on
these. I'm OK with cashew, referring to the nuts, but not where the word is
used on F9.

There's no panic, as the initial updates for F9 are still going to take a
couple of days to download. Working with dialup moves one to be very patient.
Having just downloaded 6 cd iso's for F9 on dialup, patience is a necessity.

Many thanks for your reply.

Nigel.