Problems creating desktop launchers on KDE4

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Aug 6 19:44:05 BST 2008

I now have 2 distros that are using KDE4, Archlinux, and Fedora 9. Some
problems I have resolved myself, but I'm having a problem creating desktop
launchers for apps.

For example on my FC2 install, I simply right click on the desktop, and get a
menu, with amongst other things "create new", which expands to "folder",
"file", and "device". "file" will enable me to create a link to application.
Device will enable me to, for example create a desktop launcher to a
harddrive device that is already setup in /etc/fstab.

When I right click on the desktop with KDE4, I have virtually no options, and
without doubt the "create new" option does not exist, either on Archlinux, or
Fedora 9.

Any suggestions as to the procedure on KDE4, that allows me to "create new",
which is so easy on FC2, and pre KDE4 distros.

Nigel.