Kmail & firefox

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Aug 2 10:34:12 BST 2008

On Saturday 02 August 2008, Robert Spangler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping someone can lead me down the right path here.
>
> I have firefox setup as my default web browser in KDE.  Every time I click
> on a lick in KMail instead of opening the site directly it opens a file for
> that site.

This behavior indicates that the command set as default browser is not
having %u or %U in its "execute" statement, Either of these two parameters
tells the desktop environment that the application is able to deal with URLs
itself, so if it is missing KDE assumes it has to download it to a local file
first.

Since both file type associations as well as the override default browser are
usually created from the respective application's menu entry, it usually is
OK as long as this menu entry is, but I think the user can change the command
as well, so maybe this is what happend.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring