kde games

Mitch mitch074 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 10:18:15 BST 2008

nicolas compton a écrit :
> hi all!
> i'm a total newby to linux and kde, so i just wanted to ask some advice.
> i downloaded a package of games for kde (since there were none
> included with my kubuntu 7.10 install, and i can't get my usb modem to
> talk to kubuntu), and when i ran the config file, following the
> instructions in the package, it returned an error message. i'm
> attaching the config log so that you can look over it, and i was
> hoping you would be able to advise what i need to do to get a
> successful install.
> the site i downloaded from is
> www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/kde/kdegames.html
> <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/kde/kdegames.html>
> thanx in advance!
> nic
>
> ps, i am a total newby to linux, never used it before so don't know a
> lot about how to do stuff. learning as i go.

> Find out: SEEK Salary Centre Are you paid what you're worth?
> <http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT>

Aaah, you're going the difficult road of compiling from source - which
is a baaad idea if you're a newbie.

First, under Linux, you DON'T download-and-hit-setup-ok-ok-ok-done; it's
much, MUCH more difficult.

You go to add/remove softwares (in Ubuntu and Mandriva at least; other
distributions will use Yum, Synaptics, Yast), you look for the software
you want (probably "KDE games"), select it, apply, wait a minute (funny
messages saying 'updating repositories' then 'downloading' then
'installing' will appear on screen then disappear), and start if from
the fresh menu added to your applications menu.

Once you're a real geek, you can download sources, compile them, create
packages from them and run the software you've just built yourself.

Mitch