Can't move a window with mouse

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sun Apr 6 09:26:17 BST 2008

David wrote:
> :-D
>
> I should not reply to mails like this, but I am a good person so let's
> go :-)
>
> If you have this behaviour, then the options are:
>
> a) You made something very wrong.
> b) You have a Linux distribution [[that is not Debian]] in an epoch
> with bugs.
>
> Possible solutions:
>
> a) Try to find out what you made wrong. Alternatively, try
> reinstalling kwin, and overwriting the old configuration files.
> b) Try upgrading the packages.
>
> Or the solution that always works: format and install [[Debian]] Linux
> from scratch (not the distribution LFS, I mean: install Linux from the
> beginning... :-D  ).
>
> In the meantime, you can move the window by clicking and dragging on
> any point inside while pressing the Alt key. And you can replace the
> upper right buttons with the menu that appears after clicking on the
> upper left button (this is valid for Kwin, I do not know about compiz).
>
> On 02/04/2008, *John R. Sowden* <jsowden at americansentry.net
> <mailto:jsowden at americansentry.net>> wrote:
>
>     When I move the mouse pointer to the title bar to move a window, I
>     get a
>     double ended arrow, either vertical or horizontal.  I cannot grab the
>     window and move it, nor will the boxes in the upper right corner
>     respond.
>
>     Help?

You're right.  I failed to give some necessary data: Suse 10.3, at the
time I was running OpenOffice.org 2.3, although it happened with other
than OOo.  Since I do not change the kde version of an existing
distribution, I am running the KDE version that same with Suse 10.3.   I
do not modify (re-compile) my distribution.  This happened out of the
blue.  I have since shut down the computer and restarted.  The problem
went away.

My concern: I'm sure it will happen again.

John