Konq or linux dns problem
john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 22:35:50 BST 2007
On Saturday 22 September 2007 13:41, John wrote:
> On Friday 21 September 2007 18:56, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Hi John,
> > On Friday 21 September 2007, John wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > Think I've been here before but this started happening a couple of
> > > weeks ago.
> > >
> > > Many web pages are sloooooooooooooow ever so slow. Looking with
> > > ethereal a dns request is sent out to tiscali's primary dns server. No
> > > reply for 5 secs so the secondary is tried and the address comes back
> > > within 25mSec. I have my router set to use the tiscali numbers -
> > > 184.108.40.206 and 67. 67 is the secondary. I've switch the addresses
> > > round in the router to use 67 first but the system still uses 66 first.
> > > Me thinks something in my system is doing this and not using the router
> > > as it should.
> > There are two things that usually result in a speed up.
> > The first thing is enabling ncsd, a system daemon which caches DNS
> > results and calls to the user data base (user rights, etc)
> > It is a service provided by the system itself, i.e. it will "sit" below
> > the basic C-library all applications are using, thus benefit all
> > applications.
> > Another thing to try is disabling IPv6 based DNS lookup, see
> > http://tinyurl.com/36pyo3
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
> I disabled ipv6 a long time ago but had to do more that Kevin suggests. I
> search all files for ipv6 and disabled it at a system level. All was ok
> I've switched the order of the dns requests now but 67 is as slow today as
> 66 usually is. The system is sending out requests to 67 swiftly followed by
> the same request to 66 and then 67 again. Maybe this is a problem. Wish I
> new how to set things up so that the router does the requests. I've some
> indication that windoze is quicker ! The router is bound to use the same
> technique as windoze.
For anyone that's interested I came across a note on the web about ipv6
settings being messy to change especially at the system level and then
sometimes being changed yet again by updates. Can't understand why that
happens as it's a known problem.
The solution which should work on most adsl routers is to modify resolv.conf
to show the router's address as a nameserver and then put a command in the
network configuration file so that dhcp will not automatically change it. On
suse this seems to be set to yes by default so it just needs changing to no.
This way all dns is done by the router and my problem has gone away.
KDE 3.4.2 B
This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
More information about the kde