KDE thrashing again

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Sep 22 15:39:17 BST 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 19:03, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 25. April 2007 +0100, John wrote:
> > It's happened again. This time kmail, 2 copies of kate, ding and 2 konq
> > windows running, 3 tabs in one and 1 in the other. Linux is continually
> > swapping in and out small portions of memory. Started suddenly for no
> > apparent reason. Machine slows down and then goes so slow as to be
> > unusable. I had to hit the reset button this time - kmenu wouldn't come
> > up.
>
> One of the possible causes is a memory leak in one of the applications,
> i.e. an application continuously requesting new memory and not releasing it
> because it "forgot" about having it.
>
> The problem is that since the swapping makes the machine unresponsive, it
> is hard to check which of the processes is doing it.
>
> Sometimes it is not even an application as such, but a plugin within a
> running application, e.g. a Kicker applet, a kded module, etc
>
> If this happens a lot, you could consider running top, sorted by memory, in
> a Konsole window while you are working and try to switch to it once it
> starts the swapping.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Just an update on this. If  it's an application it looks like it was kate. I
can't rule out a suse update that has since been corrected though. Yet.
I have kate set up so that it sytax highlights all of the languages that it's
capable of handling.
On kate I miss the inbuilt file manager like facility it used to have. I often
use it for editing system files, other oddments and found that an extremely
useful memory jogger. i could use the bookmark facility but prefer the filing
system as it can cope with more.

--
Regards
John