RFC: Use ~/.etc/kde4 instead of ~/.kde4 for personal configs

franklin franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Tue Sep 18 15:10:49 BST 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:43:31 +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote
> Hi,
>
> I am well aware that with the API freeze, my idea might be too late
> anyway, on the other hand, a major version number change would
> be the perfect opportunity to implement a plan like this.
>
> My proposal is simple:
>
> Use ~/.etc/kde4/ for configuration and data instead of ~/.kde4/ for
> KDE4.
>
> Rationale:
>
> 1) Reduces clutter of the user's home directory.
>
> 2) Puts everything into one place (I will be trying to sway some
> other major apps over the next weeks and months)
>
> 3) Follows the layout of Unix configurations and basic data by
> imitating /etc/
>
> 4) Makes keeping personal etc files in a version control system
> even easier (does probably not apply to KDE)

I think that this idea may not get many positive responses.  However, you
remind me that we can put our configuration files into version control
system since I backup my kde3 configuration files everyday. :)

I think that your idea can be simply implemented by putting kde4 files into
~/.etc/kde4, and add a symbolic link to ~/.kde4 for KDE4 compatibility.
This way we even do not have to change $KDEHOME environment variable.  What
do you think about this?

BR,
Franklin