Konsole unable to start xapps as root in Archlinux

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Oct 18 19:55:50 BST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007 20:06, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I have no problem starting xapps in Konsole, while su'ed to root on my
> > Fedora, and Debian installs, but am having a problem with Archlinux.
> >
> > Apparently the default behaviour of Konsole in Archlinux is to deny the
> > starting of xapps, but I can't see where this default setting is to be
> > found
> >
> > Kwrite for example will open, if started as user in Konsole, but not when
> > su'ed to root. this is the output when trying to open Kwrite as root.
> >
> > Xlib: connection to ":0 . 0" refused by server
> > Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> The X server is rejecting connectings from a user which is not the one
> currently running the X server, a security option since any X11 program
> which is allowed to connect can see all input.
>
> You can allow such connections explicitly by doing this in a terminal
> window currently open on the X server, e.g. in Konsole right before you
> "su"
>
> % xhost +local:root
>

> Cheers,
> Kevin

Bingo! Thanks Kevin, that works like magic.

A question though, if you know. As I've said, my Fedora, and Debian installs
have no problem. I simply su to root, and can start an xapp, and I looked on
xhost in FC2, and all there is, is as below.

xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect

Obviously the Archlinux folks have set some default behaviour for Konsole
somewhere, so that xapps can't be started as root, but where? I presume it's
in some Xfile, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the help though. Another problem resolved.

Nigel.